Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Common Sense Prevails

Following a visit from the planning officer from the new housing association, permission has, thankfully, been granted from the 9.2. Phew! However, after the gentleman had left I discovered that the G-5500 rotator had not been included in his notes. I doubt this will be a problem but will get in touch with the planning department tomorrow to add this.

It seems the neighbour complaint was simply because they were worried that the FM5 I had been using temporarily would collapse into her property and cause damage or injury. As I explained in my previous blog entry this is just not likely to happen due to the trees. The planning officer saw this and took photos of the conifers, so I presume the neighbour is going to be asked to cut down or remove the conifers. Conifers are not allowed in these properties it seems.

I have been instructed not to go ahead with the installation until I have received official written permission. I have also been told that I need to provide proof of insurance cover and have the 9.2 fitted by a professional aerial installer, providing a receipt. Everything is covered this way. Luckily I know a good company whose price is very reasonable.

It's things like this which make me feel slightly disillusioned about the whole hobby. While DXing is straight-forward enough, the hobby is considered slightly off the beaten track by most people and downright weird to some. I dread to think what the neighbours will think to a rotating aerial once it is erected. Will it attract unwanted attention? This was highlighted very nicely at the previous address. Even children would stop me in the street to ask what the aerial was and what I was listening to with it. That makes a change from people thinking I am a spy or working for the police - yes, that happens too. The problem I have is that it all leaves me feeling quite isolated and 'different'. An unwanted centre of attention.

I wish I could just enjoy the hobby without having to worry what people think. I know I shouldn't let this bother me, but it does bother me as what I am doing is publicly visible and some people seem slightly scared by it. Or they see me as some kind of freak. I have known so many other hobbyists suffer this problem. Hopefully it will just make people leave me alone ;O)

No comments:

Post a Comment